Author Topic: Typhoon Down  (Read 4546 times)

Typhoon Billy!

• Rival Gang
  • Gold Brick
Typhoon Down
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
So the Typhoon popped her belt the other day after work. Called Progressive Roadside Assistance to send a tow. This is what arrived:

A little much, perhaps, but it got the job done.

Had it towed to Erico where John was kind enough to meet me there 45 minutes after 5:00 (I broke down on Broadway, 23 blocks north of Sportique Englewood but was told that no one was willing to wait a nanosecond after 5 to let me lock my scoot inside their gates).

Anyway, got a call from Erico and was told that the belt snapped and that they want to replace some leaky seals/o-rings for ~$265, total, and that the parts will not arrive for two weeks.

Does this sound right?
Caging is not an option.

russbondo

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
Re: Typhoon Down
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
I don't know much but your looking at $100 for parts on the high side.
1953 Vespa 125, 2007 Vespa GT60, 1980 Vespa p200, 1980 Bajaj
INJURY REPORT:
No injuries reported at this time.

TonyK

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
I popped over to MotoVespa, they have a belt for $50 and a belt for $55. They usually have your parts to you in 5 days or so. I didn't see any o-rings or gaskets but I dont see a set being more than $20 for both.
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Malossi-Kevlar-Belt-Piaggio-Typhoon/1465
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Malossi-Kevlar-Belt-Typhoon50-Derbi-GP1-Gilera/1466

TonyK

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm sure you have free towing but, if you break down again feel free to give me a call. I have a scoot carrier for the back of the Jeep and I will drop what I am doing to come get you or any other member. My # is on the members board under the post murmur's phone.

I found some videos on youtube about changing the belt. Looks pretty easy.
Good one
another one
I have some tools and free time if you want to give it a go.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:25:44 PM by murmur »