Author Topic: H2O or Air  (Read 4166 times)

SHORTS365

• Fresh Meat
H2O or Air
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Dear Dr. Stupid do I put water in my tires or air?

Dr. Stupid

• Fresh Meat
Re: H2O or Air
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
Dear Shorts,

French: Vous avez le cerveau d'un sandwich au fromage.

German: Du hast das Hirn eines Kaserbrotchens.

Italian: Hai il cervello di un panino al fromaggio.

Spanish: Tienes el cerebro de un emparedado del queso.

English: You have the brain of a cheese sandwich.

I obviously can not answer that question correctly without knowing the year/make/model of your scooter...duh! Most Italian and Japanese scooters manufactured after 1976 use air. But if you do a lot of riding in rainy/wet conditions, water is a viable option. By filling the tires with water you can significantly reduce the risk of Hydroplaning. Hydroplaning, also known as aquaplaning, is the condition where a layer of water builds up between the tire and road surface. Hydroplaning occurs when the tread pattern cannot channel away enough water at an adequate rate to ensure a dry footprint area. When hydroplaning occurs, the tire effectively "floats" above the road surface on a cushion of water - and loses traction, braking and steering, creating a very unsafe driving condition. When hydroplaning occurs, the scoot is considerably less responsive. The correction of this unsafe condition is to gradually reduce speed, by merely backing off the throttle or by filling the tires with water to counteract this reaction.

Happy scootering!