Author Topic: Um, uh oh. Oh shit....HELP!!!  (Read 6296 times)

Pieman

• Rival Gang
  • Gold Brick
  • fyyff
Um, uh oh. Oh shit....HELP!!!
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Ok, so after hearing about Bondo's belt breaking I got to thinking. I just rolled past 4500mi on my scoot. I figured I would take a look at my belt and see if it was in good shape or see if I needed to get a new one. I also thought I would have a look at my rollers, I have noticed the scoot is starting to get a little sluggish at take-off. Anyway, when I was trying to take the first bolt out of the variator cover the head of the bolt snapped off. I am afraid that if I take the scoot in for repair it will cost big $$$. There are eight other bolts holding the cover on so I am also wondering if the 1 broken bolt is a big deal. Also wondering if I can still ride with the broken bolt of if I'm grounded until I can get it fixed. I still need to get a look at the belt and rollers. I am assuming the broken bolt will have to be drilled out and then the hole will have to be tapped for a larger bolt. I'm a little gun-shy about trying to do anything more because I'm afraid I'll fuck it up more than I already have. Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know how to fix the problem?
Those who choose to travel through life on four wheels are merely spectators. Those who choose their adventure on two wheels are participants.

It's your journey......Participate

TonyK

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
Re: Um, uh oh. Oh shit....HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »
As far as trying to get the other bolts off, you could try spraying some WD-40 on them and letting them soak for a while. That's what I do when getting rusted bolts off of the '75 F-250. Remeber, He-Man, righty tighty lefty loosie. If you need a hand with something, let me know.

sarahbondo

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
  • droppin' the kids at the beach.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:00:05 PM »
Aw, Geesh! That has got to SUCK!  I have no advice on that at all.  Duh.  Just letting you know I feel for you man.
the proof is in the pudding-(chocolate is best)

Chicken Wiener

• One pissed wiener!
  • Rival Gang
  • Stunt Person
  • Why is my wiener so mad?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
Once you get all of the other bolts out that one will be exposed by at least a quarter of an inch when you remove the cover!

Then use penetrating lube and you should be able to back it out without drilling! ;)

STFU

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »
"penetrating lube"  hehe
The Enforcer!

Pieman

• Rival Gang
  • Gold Brick
  • fyyff
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Once you get all of the other bolts out that one will be exposed by at least a quarter of an inch when you remove the cover!

Then use penetrating lube and you should be able to back it out without drilling! ;)
Unfortunately the bolt broke past the start of the threads in the hole so I think drilling is the only option. I am too nervous about trying to back out another bolt. My service light came on last night on my way home so I will be bringing the scoot down to Sportique on Tuesday for the oil change. I will just have to have them open the cover for the belt/roller inspection. Hope fully they can fix the broken bolt without breaking me. I don't know if I did something wrong or not. The bolt that broke looks like it was made from white (pot) metal. I get the feeling that I am screwed ( no punn intended ).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:25:42 PM by Pieman »
Those who choose to travel through life on four wheels are merely spectators. Those who choose their adventure on two wheels are participants.

sarahbondo

• Rival Gang
  • Front Office
  • droppin' the kids at the beach.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:38:19 PM »
I think you need to try the penetrating lube anyway...
the proof is in the pudding-(chocolate is best)

Chicken Wiener

• One pissed wiener!
  • Rival Gang
  • Stunt Person
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:45:24 AM »
If that's the case then there are enough bolts to hold the cover on.  I stripped one of mine out this spring from all the weight changes I do.

My cover still holds on tight even though it's missing one.

Let us know how it goes...

Pieman

• Rival Gang
  • Gold Brick
  • fyyff
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »
All is well that ends well!!! I took my scoot down to Sportique today for it's oil change. They were able to extract the bolt and replace it.( I don't know if they used penetrating oil or not  :D). They also replaced the rollers. Big improvement. I need to get a new rear tire. They didn't have any in stock so I'll get it done on the next service. All said and done without the tire $48.

Chicken Wiener

• One pissed wiener!
  • Rival Gang
  • Stunt Person
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:51:28 PM »
Sweet!

No drilling!